This page contains a list of the Sexual Health Services across the North East of England. The clinic times where stated are as accurate as possible and are guide to when there will be staff available for either appointments or drop in service, it is always best to phone the clinic to make appointments and to check times for the drop in service. If you have any difficulty contacting a Sexual Health Service, please contact MESMAC and we will do our best to help.
SEXUAL HEALTH CLINICS
The best place to go if you think you’ve got a sexually transmitted infection, or if you want a sexual health check-up, is your local sexual health service. Sexual health clinics are completely confidential, so information isn’t accessible to your partner(s) or family for example. However, if you’ve been referred to the clinic by your GP or a hospital in writing, they’ll be kept informed about your diagnosis and treatment. If confidentiality is particularly important to you, go straight to the clinic without seeing your GP. Sexual health clinics see lots of gay and bisexual men and other men who have sex with men; for example, around 10% of the men attending New Croft Sexual Health Clinic in Newcastle are gay or bisexual. It will help the staff if you’re honest about the kinds of sex you’ve been having, because they’ll be able to do the right tests and treat you more promptly. Many gay and bisexual men and other men who have sex with men routinely have check-ups, some every 3 months, even if they feel perfectly well. Others like to go if they’re starting a new relationship. This way you’re reassured that you’re free from any infections and that you’re not passing anything on to your partner(s).
WHAT HAPPENS AT THE CLINIC?
At Sexual Health clinics you often have to make an appointment but lots now have drop in sessions. Procedures vary a little from one clinic to another, but you’ll be asked to give a name (though you don’t have to), and you’ll be given a clinic identification number. You’ll then be asked to wait till you’re called (either by your name or by the number you’ve been given). If you ask for a check-up, or you have something wrong with you but don’t know what it is, the doctor is likely to do the following:
- Examine your cock, balls, arse, and general groin area to look for scabies (little mites which burrow under the skin) or crabs (pubic lice), and to see if there are any warts, sores, or moist discharges.
- Ask you to pass urine into 2 glasses; they’re looking for signs of infection in your urethra (the tube you pass water through).
- Use a small cotton bud or plastic ‘loop’ to take a swab of the end of your urethra if you have any symptoms.
- Look up your arse for warts or evidence of infection; the doctor might use an instrument called a proctoscope to help them do this, this may be uncomfortable but does not hurt.
- Take a swab from your throat with a cotton bud.You will be offered a blood test for Hepatitis B and C, and vaccination if you need it.
You’ll be asked if you want a test for HIV, the virus that can cause AIDS. This is optional and you can refuse the test. If you decide to take the test, the doctor or nurse will go through a pre test discussion with you, this has to happen on every occasion a HIV test is done. If it’s your first attendance or if you are seen as high risk or anxious you’ll be offered the opportunity to speak to a Health Adviser who’ll make sure you know about the advantages and disadvantages of having an HIV test before you make your choice.
AFTER THE CHECK UP
If there is anything the doctor or nurse is able to identify on the day you can start treatment immediately. All medication prescribed by sexual health clinics are free of charge. Your results are usually available over the phone and by text. While waiting for your results you should avoid having sex that could put others at risk but you can still have safer sex. Ask the doctor or Health Adviser if you aren’t sure what’s risky. Sexual health clinics should treat gay and bisexual men with the same courtesy as anyone else, and you should never be made to feel guilty for having sex, or for being gay or bisexual. If you feel that you’ve been badly treated, ask to make a formal complaint. Alternatively MESMAC or other local gay men’s services can take up the complaint on your behalf.
CLINICS AROUND THE NORTH EAST
NEW CROFT CENTRE
INTEGRATED SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICES
New Croft House,
Market Street East
Call: 0191 229 2999
Appointments for contraception and sexual health services are available Monday to Friday, mornings, afternoons and evenings.
Walk-in sessions for STI testing and GUM services are available on:
- Monday – Friday 9.00am to 13.00pm.
Appointments for STI testing and GUM services are available on:
- Monday 09.00am – 16.30pm
- Tuesday 08.00am - 18.30pm
- Wednesday 08.00am – 18.30pm
- Thursday 10.00am – 18.30pm
- Friday 09.00am – 16.30pm
A drop in service for young people is now available on Wednesday evenings, 16.30 -19.00pm.
The clinic is for young people aged 13 -19, run by nurses and youth workers from Teenage Kicks and also has it’s own seperate waiting area. Attend the clinic on your own or with a parent, guardian or a friend for support.
Outreach clinic details
West end of Newcastle
- Ponteland Road Health Centre
Ponteland Road (next door to Aldi)
Cowgate NE5 3AE.
Tel: 0191 229 2999 (main centre no.)
Mondays: 9.00am – 1.00pm
East end of Newcastle
- Walker Clinic
Walker Health Centre
Church Walk NE6 3BS.
Tel: 0191 229 2999 (main centre no.)
Wednesday 1.30pm – 4.00pm Fridays: 10.00am – 12.30pm
- Kenton Clinic
Betts Avenue Surgery
Sherringham Avenue NE3 3QP.
Tel: 0191 229 2999 (main centre no.)
Wednesdays: 2.00pm – 4.30pm
Just for young people (under 25s)
Young People’s Project
Unit 3, Blackfriars Court, Dispensary Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne . NE1 4XB.
Tel: 0191 230 5400
Monday, Tuesday, Fridays: 2.00pm – 4.30pm, Thursdays: 4.00pm – 6.30pm, Saturdays: 11.00am – 4.00pm (under 18s)
- WEYES (West End Youth Enquiry Service)
4 Graingerville North (Opposite bowling alley) Westgate Road, NE4 6US.
Wednesdays: 4.00 – 6.30pm Bus routes 10,11,38,39,40
- New Croft Centre
Young people only session (for 13 – 19 year olds only)
New Croft House, Market Street East, Newcastle upon Tyne. NE1 6ND.
Wednesdays: 4.30 – 7pm
- Newcastle College
Students Union , Rye Hill Campus, Newcastle upon Tyne. NE4 7SA.
Thursdays: 12.30 – 2.30pm
INFECTIOUS DISEASES OUTPATIENTS
New Victoria Wing,
Call: 0191 282 31 06
- Monday to Friday 08.00am – 13.00pm and then 14.00pm – 17.00pm. Appointments only.
HIV 1 HOUR TEST
MESMAC North East,
11 Nelson Street.
Call: 0191 233 1333
A one-hour HIV testing service open to anyone regardless of gender or sexuality is available in the North East at the MESMAC office in Newcastle .
The test is a simple finger prick test with pre and post test discussion and results within the hour.
The sessions are available every:
- Monday between 12.00pm – 6.30pm (by appointment)
- Tuesday daytime (by appointment)
- Tuesday drop in between 17.00 -19.00pm (last patient at 18.30pm)
- Wednesday daytime (by appointment)
- Thursday am only, last client 11.30am (by appointment)
- Friday no service.
- Monday 28th of July at H2O Sauna between 12-4pm
- Friday 29th of August at Number 52 Sauna between 1-5pm
- Thursday 25th of September at H2O Sauna between 1-5pm
- Monday 24th of November at H2O Sauna between 12-4pm
- Tuesday 25th of November at Number 52 Sauna between 12-4pm
TRINITY SQUARE SEXUAL HEALTH
Sexual Health Services,
Call: 0800 42 20 200 or 0191 283 1575
- Monday 09.00am - 16.00pm
- Tuesday 08.30am – 19.00pm
- Wednesday 13.00am – 16.00pm
- Thursday 08.30am – 19.00pm
- Friday 09.00am - 16.00pm
The clinic operates a walk in service, no appointment is necessary. If you would prefer an appointment these are available between 8am and 8pm Tuesdays or Thursdays.
In addition to the main clinic at Bensham Hospital, the following clinics also operate in Gateshead:
Grange Road, Ryton, Tyne and Wear. NE40 3LT
Monday 18.15pm -19.30pm – Contraception drop in.
Dunston Health Centre
Dunston Bank, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. NE11 9YP
Tuesday contraception drop in- 16.30pm – 17.30pm – Sorted (Under 25′s only) then 17.30pm-19.30pm.
Wrekenton Health Centre
Springwell Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. NE9 7AD
Wednesday 12.30pm – 19.30pm – STI’s and Contraception drop in
Blaydon Primary Care Centre
Shibdon Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. NE21 5NW
Thursday 13.30pm – 19.30pm – STI’s and Contraception drop in
Low Fell Clinic
Beaconlough Road, Low Fell, Tyne and Wear. NE9 6TD
Thursday – 18.15pm – 19.30pm – Sorted (Under 25′s) Contraception drop in
If you would like further information about any of the clinics in Gateshead or South Tyneside:
Please call: 0191 283 1586
You can also call the main Freephone number: 0800 42 20 200
ONE TO ONE CENTRE
INTEGRATED CONTRACEPTION AND SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICE
(5 minutes from Shiremoor Metro)
Call: 0191 2970441 for appointments (Monday – Friday)
Call: 0191 259 2519 for Health Advisor.
Queue and wait sessions and appointments available. New patients please attend one hour before closing.
- Monday – Wednesday 09.00am – 19.30pm.
- Thursday 12.30 – 19.30pm.
- Friday – 09.00am – 19.30pm
- Saturday 10.30am – 13.30pm (seen and assessed by a member of the clinical team).
Young Persons Contraception & Sexual Health queue & wait Sessions in North Tyneside now at:
Tyne Met College, Wallsend, NE28 9NJ
Thursday 11.00am – 14.00pm (by appointment only)
Monkseaton Clinic, Chapel Lane, NE25 8AD
Monday 14.00pm – 18.00pm
Meadowell Clinic, Waterville Road, North Shields, NE29 6BT
Tuesday 16.30pm – 19.30pm
Youth Village, Hudson St, North Shields, NE30 1DL
Tuesday 13.30pm -5 pm (by Appointments only)
John Willie Sams Centre, Market St, Dudley, NE28 9NJ
Wednesday 14.00pm – 18.00pm
Sure Start Centre, 11 Howden Lane, Howden Sure Start, NE28 0BE
Wednesday 16.00pm – 19.00pm
White Swan Centre, Floor 1, Citadel east, Killingworth. NE12 6SS
Thursday 14.00pm – 18.00pm
Please attend at least 45 minutes before the end of the session.
Young People’s Outreach contact is now:
Susie Arrowsmith – 07775547017
For further information please contact the One to One Centre Outreach Team:
- Pam Winn (Nurse): 0791 930 0865
- Claire Quilley (Nurse): 0777 554 6993
- Lisa Riddle (Admin): 0777 554 3416
NORTHUMBERLAND SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICES
Northumberland Contraceptive & Sexual Health Services.
Morpeth Clinic, Gas House Lane, Morpeth, NE61 1SR
Appointments are available across the county Monday to Friday 8.30am-7pm (exact time depends on location)
Clinics around Northumberland with addresses below.
Please click on this link for a page of all the available clinics and times.
APPOINTMENTS & ADVICE
To make an appointment for any of the Northumberland services, please call:
01670 51 51 51
- Alnwick Infirmary, The Hotspur Unit, Infirmary Drive, Alnwick. NE65 2NR
- Amble Drop In, Amble Youth Project, Dilston Terrace, Amble. NE65 0DT
- Berwick Infirmary, Old Cheviot Ward, Infirmary Square, Berwick Upon Tweed. TD15 1LT
- Haltwhistle, The Health Centre, Greencroft Avenue, Haltwhistle. NE49 9AP
- Hexham General Day Surgery Unit, Corbridge Road, Hexham. NE46 1QJ
SOUTH EAST NORTHUMBERLAND
- Ashington, CaSH, Lintonville medical Group, Lintonville Terrace, Ashington. NE63 9UT
- Bedlington, Bedlingtonshire Medical Group, Glebe Road, Bedlington. NE22 6JX
- Blyth, Blyth Community Hospital (The Thomas Knight Day Unit Entrance), Thornton Street, Blyth. NE24 1DX
- Cramlington, CaSH, Cramlington Health Centre, Forum Way, Cramlington. NE23 1QN
- Lynemouth, Drop In Wellway Medical Group, Albion Terrace, Lynemouth. NE61 5TB
- Morpeth Clinic, Gas House Lane, Morpeth. NE61 1SR
- Seaton Delaval, The Surgery, Elsdon Avenue, Seaton Delaval. NE25 0BW
- Wansbeck General, Woodhorn Lane, Ashington. NE63 9JJ
STANHOPE PARADE HEALTH CENTRE
Please go to the sexual health reception which is to the right of the main reception.
Department of Urinary Medicine,
Call: 0191 283 2525
- Monday 08.30am – 19.00pm.
- Tuesday 09.00am – 16.00pm.
- Wednesday 13.00pm – 19.00pm.
- Thursday 09.00am – 16.00pm.
- Friday 08.30am – 16.00pm
- Saturday 09.00am – 11.30am.
Palmers Community Hospital
Wear Street, Jarrow, Tyne and Wear. NE32 3UX
Monday 17.30pm – 19.30pm - Grapevine Under 25′s Contraception drop in/appts
Wednesday 17.30pm – 19.30pm - Contraception drop in/appts
Cleadon Park Primary Care Centre
Prince Edward Road, South Shields. NE34 7QD
Under 25′s Contraception drop in/appts
Tuesday 13.00pm – 16.00pm, 16.30pm – 19.15pm
Thursday 16.00pm-17.30pm, Young Person’s Clinic Under 25’s Contraception drop-in
Flagg Court Health Centre
Flagg Court, South Shields. NE33 2PG
Thursday 16.30pm – 18.30pm – Contraception drop in/appts Under 25′s
To contact any of the above clinics, please call: 0191 283 2525
SEXUAL HEALTH CLINIC
Sunderland Royal Hospital,
To make an appointment or ask for advice, please contact the department direct.
Call: 0191 569 9021 Monday – Friday 08.45am – 17.00pm
- Monday 08.45am -1200pm Drop in, 14.00pm – 16.00pm, 16.30pm – 19.20pm Appointments.
- Tuesday 08.45am -1200pm Drop in, 14.00pm – 16.00pm Appointments.
- Wednesday 09.00am – 11.20am, 14.00pm – 18.00pm Appointments.
- Thursday 08.45am -1200pm Drop in, 14.00pm – 16.00pm Appointments.
- Friday 08.45am -1200pm Drop in, 14.00pm – 16.00pm Appointments.
UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL OF NORTH DURHAM
Call: Advice – 0191 333 2927
Call: Appointments – 0191 333 2660/1
- Monday 09.00am – 12.00 noon & 2.00pm to 4.30pm (Drop in)
- Tuesday 10.00am – 13.00pm
- Wednesday 9.00am to 11.30am (Drop in) & 2.00pm – 5.00pm
- Thursday 10.30am to 1.30pm & 3.00pm to 6.00pm
- Friday 09.00am – 12.00 noon
SEXUAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Darlington Memorial Hospital,
Hollyhurst Road. DL3 6HX
Call: Appointments – 01325 743203
Call: Advice – 01325 743982
- Monday 9.00am to 12.00am & 1.30pm to 4.15pm (Walk in)
- Tuesday 9.00am to 12.00am & 2.30pm to 4.00pm (Walk in), 4:45pm to 5:30pm (appointments)
- Wednesday 9.00am to 12.00 noon
- Thursday 9.00am to 12.00 noon & 1.30pm to 4.30pm
- Friday 9.00am – 12.00 noon
BISHOP AUCKLAND GENERAL HOSPITAL
Department of Sexual Health,
Call: Appointments – 01388 455700
Call: Advice – 01388 603180
- Monday’s 8.30am to 11.30am (Drop in) & 2.00pm to 5.00pm
- Tuesday 2.45pm - 5.30pm
- Wednesday 8.30am - 11.30am
- Thursday 8.30am – 11.30am
- Friday 8.30am – 11.30am
Sexual Health Services in the Teesside area are divided between 4 ‘Hubs’. There is one contact telephone number for the service 0333 000 0014 (option 3) which operates as a central booking line for appointments and signpost clients to the following clinics:
NORTH ORMSBY HEALTH VILLAGE
11a Trinity Mews,
Call: 01642 459583 or 0333 000 0014 option 3
REDCAR PRIMARY CARE HOSPITAL
West Dyke Road,
Call: 01642 511156 or 0333 000 0014 option 3
Call: 01429 285719 or 0333 000 0014 option 3
Various sexual health, GUM and CASH services available, call for information.
LAWSON STREET HEALTH CENTRE
Stockton on Tees.
Call: 01642 704314 or 0333 000 0014 option 3
Various sexual health, GUM and CASH services available, call for information.
JAMES COOK UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
HIV clinics Monday and Thursday 1300-1800 but also opperate an open door policy.